Lift chairs are covered by Medicare Part B and Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) plans. They are categorized as durable medical equipment (DME) and are covered under Part B along with other DME items like walkers and wheelchairs.
The part of the chair that is covered by Medicare is the motor and accompanying device that helps you “lift” out of the chair.
Lift chairs that use a spring device to lift you out are not covered by Medicare. And the fabric, cushion and any accessories are also not covered by Medicare.
Join our email series to receive your free Medicare guide and the latest information about Medicare and Medicare Advantage.
By clicking "Sign me up!” you are agreeing to receive emails from MedicareAdvantage.com.
Speak with a licensed insurance agent
There are two main parts to a lift chair: the chair itself and the mechanical component that raises and lowers the seat. Medicare Part B only helps pay for the mechanical component, not the chair itself.
Below is a list of the requirements you must meet for Medicare to cover your lift chair.
IMPORTANT: Medicare only covers durable medical equipment (DME) if your doctor and your DME supplier participate in Medicare.
The cost of a lift chair can range from a few hundred dollars to more than a thousand dollars depending on the brand, provider and the features included.
If your lift chair is covered by Medicare, Medicare will pay for 80 percent of the cost of the motor and lifting mechanism. You will then pay the remaining 20 percent of the Medicare-approved amount for the motor and lifting device along with the cost of the chair itself.
You must meet your Medicare Part B deductible (which is $203 in 2021) before Medicare will begin paying its share for covered services.
A sit to stand lift is similar to a lift chair but can assist a person with transitioning from a seated to standing position (or vice versa) from chairs, beds, commodes or other items.
These are classified as a type of “patient lift” and are covered by Medicare Part B and Medicare Advantage plans as durable medical equipment in the same way that lift chairs are covered.
Medicare Supplement Insurance plans, also called Medigap, do not cover lift chairs themselves.
Medigap plans, however, do help cover the 20 percent Medicare Part B coinsurance charges that are required for a lift chair, after you meet your Medicare Part B deductible.
Learn more about Medicare Supplement Insurance by reading this helpful guide.
You have options when it comes to your Medicare coverage. Depending on where you live, you may be able to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan.
If your lift chair would be covered by Medicare Part B, it is also covered by Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C).
Medicare Advantage plans provide the same hospital and medical benefits as Original Medicare, and some plans may offer benefits that aren’t included with Original Medicare, such as coverage for prescription drugs, vision and dental care.
To learn more about Medicare Advantage plans and to find plans in your area, call a licensed insurance agent today or compare plans online.
Explore Medicare Advantage plan benefits in your areaCompare plans now
Or call 1-800-557-6059 (TTY: 711) to speak with a licensed insurance agent. We accept calls 24/7!
Christian Worstell is a senior Medicare and health insurance writer with MedicareAdvantage.com. He is also a licensed health insurance agent. Christian is well-known in the insurance industry for the thousands of educational articles he’s written, helping Americans better understand their health insurance and Medicare coverage.
Christian’s work as a Medicare expert has appeared in several top-tier and trade news outlets including Forbes, MarketWatch, WebMD and Yahoo! Finance.
Christian has written hundreds of articles for MedicareAvantage.com that teach Medicare beneficiaries the best practices for navigating Medicare. His articles are read by thousands of older Americans each month. By better understanding their health care coverage, readers may hopefully learn how to limit their out-of-pocket Medicare spending and access quality medical care.
Christian’s passion for his role stems from his desire to make a difference in the senior community. He strongly believes that the more beneficiaries know about their Medicare coverage, the better their overall health and wellness is as a result.
A current resident of Raleigh, Christian is a graduate of Shippensburg University with a bachelor’s degree in journalism.
If you’re a member of the media looking to connect with Christian, please don’t hesitate to email our public relations team at Mike@tzhealthmedia.com.