• Home >
  • Benefits >
  • Does Medicare Cover Chiropractic Services?

Does Medicare Cover Chiropractic Services?

Yes, Medicare Part B may cover chiropractic services if medically necessary to correct a subluxation, or misalignment of the spiral column. Otherwise, chiropractic services are not generally covered under Original Medicare.

Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) also cover eligible chiropractic services.

Many Medicare Advantage plans also offer additional benefits not covered by Medicare Part A and Part B, such as prescription drug coverage and certain home care services like bathroom grab bars.

Chiropractor works with his patient

When will Medicare Part B cover chiropractic care?

Medicare Part B sometimes covers manual manipulation of the spine if medically necessary to correct a subluxation.

If your chiropractic service is covered by Medicare, Medicare Part B will typically pay 80 percent of the Medicare approved amount of the costs after you meet your Medicare Part B deductible. After Medicare covers 80 percent of the cost, you are responsible for the other 20 percent.

In 2020, the Medicare Part B deductible is $198 per year.

Chiropractic services that Medicare does not cover include:

  • X-rays
  • Massage therapy
  • Acupuncture
  • Facility charges
  • Supplies

What is a vertebral subluxation?

A vertebral subluxation is the misalignment of the spinal column, which can be caused by numerous age-related conditions.

A subluxation is generally treated through a physical manipulation of the spine performed by a chiropractor. Other treatment methods may include surgery, rehabilitation, medication and a shoulder brace.

How many chiropractic visits does original medicare cover?

Original Medicare does not cover routine chiropractic services, nor does it cover chiropractic checkups, exams or screenings.

Therefore, covered visits are limited to those that are deemed medically necessary, such as a subluxation correction. 

When will Medicare Advantage cover chiropractic care?

Some Medicare Advantage plans may cover routine chiropractic care such as treatments for pain relief, nausea and neuromusculoskeletal disorders. 

Check with your Medicare Advantage plan provider to determine any additional chiropractic coverage that is above and beyond the limits of Original Medicare.

If you are not already enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan, contact a licensed insurance agent for information about Medicare Advantage plans with chiropractic coverage that may be available in your area. 

Some Medicare Advantage plans may provide additional benefits

Medicare Advantage plans (also called Medicare Part C) are sold by private insurance companies and provide all of the coverage benefits of Medicare Part A and Part B (Original Medicare) in one simple plan.

This means that if you need spinal treatment that is covered by Medicare Part B, it would also be covered by your Medicare Advantage plan.

Some Medicare Advantage plans may cover additional benefits, such as coverage for prescription drugs, vision care and dental care, which are not covered by Original Medicare.

Not all plans offer these additional health care benefits.

To learn more about Medicare Advantage plans in your area and to find a Medicare plan that may offer the benefits you’re looking for, call today to speak with a licensed insurance agent.

Explore Medicare Advantage plan benefits in your area

Compare plans now

Or call 1-800-557-6059 (TTY: 711) to speak with a licensed insurance agent. We accept calls 24/7!