Does Medicare Cover Liver Transplants?

Medicare does cover liver transplants and other organ transplants that are considered medically necessary. The surgery itself is covered by Medicare Part A (hospital insurance), and doctors services related to your transplant are covered by Medicare Part B (medical insurance).

Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) plans also cover liver transplants when they are medically necessary. Medicare Advantage plans also include an annual out-of-pocket spending limit, which Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) does not cover.

This spending limit could save you from potentially paying thousands of dollars in out-of-pocket Medicare costs.

A doctor and patient smile and talk in the doctors office

Does Medicare Advantage cover transplant drugs?

Medicare Advantage plans provide the same hospital and medical benefits as Original Medicare. Most Medicare Advantage plans also offer additional benefits that Original Medicare doesn’t cover.

These extra benefits can include, but aren’t limited to:

Some Medicare Advantage plans have monthly premiums as low as $0.

How much do liver transplants cost with Medicare?

You must get your organ transplant in a Medicare-certified facility for it to be covered by Medicare.

Once you pay your Part A deductible ($1,364 per benefit period in 2019), Medicare Part A will cover some of the hospital costs related to your liver transplant and you will pay your Medicare Part A coinsurance.

Your Part A coinsurance amount is based on how long you are in the hospital. A typical hospital stay for a liver transplant is about 12 days.1 For days 1-60 spent in the hospital, the Part A coinsurance is $0.

Once you meet your Medicare Part B deductible ($185 per year in 2019), Medicare generally pays 80 percent of the Medicare-approved amount for the doctor’s services related to your liver transplant, and you pay the remaining 20 percent.

In addition to the charges above, you may have to pay various transplant facility charges. Medicare covers all Medicare-certified lab tests.

Compare Medicare Advantage plans in your area

If you’re eligible for Original Medicare, you are likely eligible for a Medicare Advantage plan. Our licensed agents can help you find Medicare Advantage plans in your area and get you enrolled in one that works for your health needs.

Find a Medicare Advantage plan that covers liver transplants

Compare Plans

Or call TTY Users: 711 24/7 to speak with a licensed insurance agent.

 

1 Johns Hopkins Medicine. Liver transplant — The surgery, recovery and quality of life [Video transcript]. (May 27, 2011). Retrieved from www.hopkinsmedicine.org/transplant/news_events/media/transcripts/liver/liver_transplant_surgery.html.

Copyright © 2019 TZ Insurance Solutions LLC. All rights reserved.

MedicareAdvantage.com is a website owned and operated by TZ Insurance Solutions LLC. TZ Insurance Solutions LLC and TruBridge, Inc. represent Medicare Advantage Organizations and Prescription Drug Plans having Medicare contracts; enrollment in any plan depends upon contract renewal.

Plan availability varies by region and state. For a complete list of available plans, please contact 1-800-MEDICARE (TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048), 24 hours a day/7 days a week or consult www.medicare.gov.

Medicare has neither reviewed nor endorsed this information.